Monday, August 25, 2014

VTS: Week 1 Blog Assignment

Class Introduction:

I'm Ginia Gowin, and I teach 7th grade Language Arts at Chester Boren Middle School in Centralia, Missouri.  For the purposes of this Visual Thinking Strategies course, I've decided to focus on my Advisory students.  At my school, Advisory is used as a study hall and organization time at the end of the day.  However, each year it proves difficult to motivate students and keep them focused; therefore, the time is often wasted.  I have twenty students in my Advisory class this year, which is actually my smallest class, but also one of my most diverse in regards to students needs.  This class includes some very successful students, students identified as at risk academically, students with special needs, and even one student who, in the past, has exhibited defiance/withdrawal behaviors such as curling up in a ball under a desk and refusing to come out. My hope is to build classroom community for all learners while motivating and engaging students through VTS...and it would be great if none of us retreat to the underside of our desks!

9 comments:

  1. I think VTS will be very helpful to you and this diverse group you have. Hopefully with some experience with VTS you'll start to notice a difference in the engagement of your students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hopeful for you that VTS can bring them all together through engagement! And I also hope that the image can allow for several entry points or personal connections to meet the diverse learners where they are at now. I also think that once students notice multiple people joining in to the conversation, it will get EVERYONE to participate/be engaged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand what you are saying about building a community within the classroom. This is a way to help others within their peer group. Students can identify with what is going on out in the world through other student’s ideas and/or behaviors that happen within the classroom or can pull from someone else’s experience. I feel that no matter what time the student has in the classroom, he can pull from these experiences, even if the student is defiant or withdrawn. There is something that each of these students can contribute to the world around them. I know each class of students is different then the next, but I do feel there is a way to reach them. Just keep up the good work and you will find a way to reach each student.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ginia,
    This sounds like perfect opportunity to introduce VTS. With such a diverse group it should beneficial for all of the students to have an activity that will help them focus and be engaged,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think VTS will bring a fresh and exciting approach to class discussions. I think your students will grow closer and more comfortable with their fellow classmates through this process. This will allow for students to share their personal perspective to a diverse group, giving them the chance to learn from one another.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very excited to here about how VTS will change your advisory time and aid in the community you are building. It sounds like you have a very interesting group of students and I am curious to hear about how they are able to build each-other up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a unique and cool opportunity for you to bring VTS to your advisory group Ginia! This experience should prove to be beneficial for all of you. I can't wait to read about it's positive affect on this group.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think using your Advisory students to do VTS is a great way to keep their focus at the end of the day. It should also level the playing field for all of your students--those with learning challenges/behavior issues-as well as the more successful students. I am anxious to hear how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm very excited at the potential offered by this class! A strength of VTS is that it "levels the playing field" for a diverse group of students. This class seems the epitome of diversity! Very excited to see how the semester unfolds!

    ReplyDelete