This week, during our team planning time, I conducted my peer practice VTS with the teachers on my 7th grade team. I chose Winslow Homer's "Dad's Coming!" because I felt a little familiar with the artist since I incorporated some of his work in my Tom Sawyer unit lessons. I have to admit, I felt more awkward than when I practiced in class because this was my first group who were not at all familiar with VTS. It was a little slow getting started, so I did begin by sharing my first idea as a viewer. This did initiated the conversation, and it steadily grew from there.
My peers gave the following feedback:
- At first they did feel like this did not pertain to them, but gradually began to enjoy the activity and their overall impression was positive.
- VTS did encourage them to look at the image differently, more intently.
- They gradually formed a narrative about the image.
- They noted that my paraphrasing was a good way to model paraphrasing for students and build vocabulary.
- VTS helped build a community, rather than competition because they were building on what was previously said.
- Other's comments guided their observations and helped them "see more".
- One of the four teachers has experience viewing art, but was not familiar with this image or artist. He said VTS made him look at the image and think about it more than he would have on his own.
Ginia,
ReplyDeleteI like your colleague's comment about "building a community, rather than a competition" by building on what was previously said. I think that is a really good way to describe VTS. It seems that many of us had similar comments on the fact that VTS makes the viewers really LOOK at the image.
Ginia,
ReplyDeleteI felt awkward with my group as well. The main theme from mine as well was the idea that they noticed way more looking at the image longer and with other people than they would have on their own. I'm so glad people are realizing how they can see more this way!
Ginia,
ReplyDeleteI felt a little akward as well, luckily the 5 people who showed up are art supporters and like to try new things and new ideas. I think that made it a little easier. I had a similar experience as both you and Lori when they recognized how much more they noticed using these questions. I think it's pretty awesome to get teachers/adults to notice things they didn't through a series of questions. I'm excited to hear about how it goes in your Language Arts classroom.
I too felt more awkward practicing with my group than I did with our class. The reason why is because it was their first experience with VTS. Thankfully your colleagues gave you great feedback, and were able to point out the benefits of VTS.
ReplyDeleteGinia,
ReplyDeleteI used the same image. It is interesting to see some of your feedback is similar to my feedback. I brought the group together with the idea that I was sharing a pizza. There were jokes at first about having to bribe them them to come, but afterwards they seemed to really enjoy the group experience and asked me if I needed them to participate again, as they would like to do it again. Which made me feel good.
Sounds like a good old fashioned "bait and switch," Kaj! Great strategy, though. Neat that they wanted to do it again (hopefully with or without pizza!)
DeleteIt is always interesting to hear how professional peers seem to have their guards up when invited to the "dress rehearsal." I think it's that "one right answer" belief that for so many has been drilled into their heads. So proud of all of you for persevering. Ginia, it sounds like your initial modeling seemed to break the ice well. I had a high school photograph teacher than had the same experience. In her first VTS, it was silent. So she modeled a response for them and the discussion took off. Great strategy!
ReplyDelete