Friday, November 21, 2014

VTS: Week 13 Blog Assignment

VTS as Differentiated Instruction:

Without differentiated instruction, many of my Advisory students would fall behind, some would lack motivation because they are uninspired, and the others would not be challenged to reach their potential.  This is a varied group- academically, socially, and emotionally.  In Johnson's article, "Differentiated Instruction Allows Students to Succeed" he discusses the importance of "meet(ing) students where they are "and "allow(ing) for do-overs".  VTS does this for my Advisory students because it provides opportunities to build vocabulary, scaffold learning, practice with multiple images (mediums) and revise thinking without the pressure of one right answer. Johnson's "Active Learning Is Key to Differentiated Instruction" emphasizes providing activities that are intrinsically differentiated, which involves creating cooperative groups and encouraging student inquiry.  VTS discussions promote cooperative learning within the group by linking student responses, and it encourages student inquiry by asking students to continually find more.  My Advisory group is great at linking their responses, and I've noticed that sort of linking has trickled into other class discussions.  With each discussion we've completed, students' observations become increasingly more detailed, and every student participates, which Tomlinson discussed in the process component of differentiation.    I feel more of a sense of community with this Advisory group than I have with other in the past, and I attribute this to our VTS experiences.  VTS does create a positive learning environment- another necessary element discussed by Tomlinson.  Through VTS discussions we are able to share ideas collectively in what would normally be a study hall- void of collaboration.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very thoughtful entry and as you can imagine, I smiled when you said, "I feel more of a sense of community with this Advisory group than i have with others in the past, and i attribute this to our VTS experiences." I know that in my own practice, VTS has forged wonderful relationships and even brought down walls that would have kept resistant students from learning. And it's just been in the past four years or so that I've realized this and started to really use it to help my most challenging kiddos. Great job!

    ReplyDelete