Portrait of Possibility Revisited
My initial plan was to encourage Sam earlier in the day by acknowledging his participation after our previous discussion. This plan backfired. Sam responded immediately by saying, “I don’t want to. I’m not going to do that.”
Despite his initial withdrawal, Sam has shown progress- and not only during VTS discussions. He began the school year spending much of his day in the office, but he hasn't been there in weeks. He was failing most of his core classes, but his grades have now improved in all areas. I used to have to sit next to him during Advisory in order for him to complete his homework, and he was spending one class period with the guidance counselor so she could sit with him. Sam is now working independently, and taking responsibility on his own.
Last week we had a parent meeting, and his mother told me he loves my class. Then, after school, my Principal came to talk to me. He told me Sam’s mother had stopped by the office after our meeting and talked to him about Sam’s progress. He said she attributed this to my influence! She saw the change in his behavior at home too and didn't know how I “cracked the code” but she was glad I did. I honestly believe the VTS discussions are responsible for the change. Even though he doesn't verbalize his thinking, he is still affected by the cooperative community and positive learning environment. Prior to this year, the classroom was an intimidating place for Sam, but this year his experience is different. I believe VTS has opened the door for Sam. VTS “cracked the code.”
Wow! Please keep me posted on this student! If you continue to VTS, I'd be curious to know if he begins to participate. Congratulations!! It's always so validating when we learn that what we are doing is making a difference for students. It's cool, too, that you got positive parent feedback. Too often, the only time we hear from parents is when they are disgruntled!! Way to go!! You rock!!
ReplyDelete