Tuesday, October 7, 2014

VTS: Week 7 Blog Assignment

Why not tell?

As I read parts 1 and 2 of “VTS & Information: A Commentary”, I couldn't help but think about my idea of what it means to teach another person.  Education is often thought of as the transfer of information from one person to another, in this case teacher to students.  Unfortunately, we've trained ourselves and our students to expect this exchange.  I've really struggled with this lately in my teaching of seventh graders, because I believe there has to be a shift where students (and teachers) understand teaching differently.  I do not have all the answers, I never will, and I think that’s okay.  I don’t need to be all-knowing, but I do need to be all-guiding, all-inspiring, and all-facilitating.  This, I can do.

The VTS approach to learning, I believe, shares my vision.  In regards to not telling, I noted the line “we stick to what viewers find in an image and let them compute meaning based on what they recognize, not what we teachers know.”  Yes!  This resonates with me because it focuses on the student’s ability to make meaning.  Without this skill of recognizing what is familiar and what is not familiar, then making meaning for ourselves, we are not able to adequately solve problems.

I would defend my position about not telling to a parent, other educator, or administrator  with the explanation from the article that VTS “…is about activating the minds of viewers; showing them how to approach unfamiliar work in the first place-by looking and thinking-and how they can find answers to questions that come up for them.”  Not telling is different from not finding or not knowing.  VTS uses inquiry and observation to help students discover meanings, and it does encourage knowing through collaboration.  When a teacher provides an answer, learning has not occurred.  When a student discovers an answer or finds meaning, learning has occurred at a greater level.

4 comments:

  1. Ginia,
    I think your thoughts are "spot on"! That was a great blog article!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you summed up the article perfectly with the statement, "When a teacher provides an answer, learning has not occurred". Giving answers completely halts student learning because it prevents student thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ginia- “Why not tell”.

    Stop second-guessing your ideas and your approach to teaching. Yes, we trained ourselves to look at art one way and now we are asking them to look at it in an entirely new light. I think the exchange with your students will help you, as a teacher, to grow over time.

    I love your passion about giving back to your students. I can tell that you love them and are thinking about what’s best for them. First, by letting them find the meaning in the art, no matter what grade you are teaching. You can give them a future that will go beyond just your classroom. I think this is important for all viewers to have, the ability to see beyond what is spoon-fed to them.

    As teachers, sometimes we will have to express our position and defend why we are teaching the way we are, even if it’s to our peers or to each student’s parents. Just stand your ground. We are all adults and we must allow time for VTS to work and share the success with others when it happens. Share your vision with them that you are focused on making the student a better viewer over the long road and over time this will show through this problem solving that VTS can work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are very rich reflections. I was particularly taken by your statement, "I don’t need to be all-knowing, but I do need to be all-guiding, all-inspiring, and all-facilitating." I join you in that belief (and hope I can quote your eloquent words!) I was also impressed with the distinction you made when you said, "Not telling is different from not finding or not knowing." As VTS teachers, we facilitate finding and knowing when we don't tell and we do it in a way that is paced just right for the student's individual interests and needs. It is definitely a paradigm shift for many educators, but one our students certainly need and deserve!

    ReplyDelete