Friday, October 24, 2014

VTS: Week 9 Blog Assignment

Teacher's Choice Proposal:

My focus class is a group of seventh grade students who meet for Advisory, which is like a study hall period, the last half hour of the school day.   This class includes some very successful students, students identified as at risk academically, and students with special needs- both academic and social/emotional.  Based on the Yenawine article, the VTS discussions I've facilitated with this class thus far, and my knowledge of the students, I chose the following four images:



Norman Rockwell, Girl with a Black Eye, 1953.


The Small Art Connoisseur
August Friedrich Siegert,  The Small Art Connoisseur, 1863.


 
Homer Winslow, Snap the Whip, 1872.















Helen Levitt Photograph,

5 comments:

  1. I love all of your selections! The Norman Rockwell could have some interesting conversation. I really wonder why she is smiling. Image 4 is a very interesting image which seems much more complex. Is that a man hanging with something on his head? I think any of them would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginia, I really like the play and intenseness of the images that you have chosen. I feel that you could almost have a story from one image to the next. I can see your student finding so many meanings in each image. Using color and black and white images to VTS is a way to show that art comes in different medias. Because your class is at the end of the day, you pick well for the age group. By having students that are identified as at risk, I can see a great way to help them through each of these images.
    I appreciate them as an entire grouping. I can almost see each story that your students will be able to draw from. This group of images pulls me in and I want to know more about each one of them. What a great job on your picks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ginia,

    I agree that the Rockwell painting appears the most interesting! I think that stage one viewers are very interested in creating a narrative, and that this one has enough quirky details to keep the kids interested while wondering over that narrative. Furthermore, since it is an advisory class, you could possibly use this to talk about safety/bullying. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your selection here! I like that there is a common theme of children in all of these artworks. I think that alone will help your students connect with these images easily and they’ll probably be more inclined to participate. I like the first and last images the best, I think they are the most intriguing, but as others have already said there is something really striking about the girl in Rockwell’s painting. It would be interesting to see what kind of reaction it gets from your students!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great selection of images! Wonderful diversity! I think Yenawine would be impressed! If you are struggling to get the girls to chime in, I wonder if the first one might be an image that could do it? The implied fight would certainly appear to your boys, too. They might infer that she's there because she stood up to a boy! Can't wait to see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete