I have become much more comfortable facilitating VTS discussions with my students since my first one. I no longer feel self-conscious, and I remember the three questions easily. Since my first VTS experience with my professional peers, I have gained confidence and am able to focus on paraphrasing rather than asking the questions. Since my first Video assessment, I have thought more intently about the vocabulary I use when paraphrasing because I don’t want to miss the opportunity to scaffold with my students. Previously, I focused on paraphrasing accurately, but now I am able to give thought to word choice. This is an area in which I hope to continue to grow.
The most surprising issue I have encountered in my VTS experience is that only male students are participating in the discussions. My Advisory class consists of 19 students; 11 boys and 8 girls. In considering possible reasons for the gender divide, I have noted the following:
- The images we've used thus far only have males in them.
- The girls in my Advisory are more likely to work on homework before socializing, and they may have chosen this on the VTS discussion days.
- Some girls belong to clubs or groups that may have met during this time.
- The boys in this group are more social, especially towards the end of the day.
I want to work on linking student responses and scaffolding vocabulary through paraphrasing. My goal is for this to become “automatic” as I facilitate.
That's great that you are scaffolding vocabulary in your VTS discussions. I would agree that you are much more comfortable facilitating a discussion compared to our first class meeting. It seems like a very natural process for you so well done!
ReplyDeleteGreat insights! I will be anxious to see if you can "hook" the girls with attention to image choice. I read your Blog #9 before this one and I"m thinking perhaps the Rockwell image of the girl outside the principal's office might be a good one. If you call them all up close to the image (you may already be doing this, but in case not), you might enjoy the greater participation that Kenzie has. It's harder to not participate when you're "up close and personal" with the image and your peers! Seems like you've hit a happy place where you are your relaxed self with the kids while VTSing. Great to hear! Good luck with the girls!
ReplyDelete